Meet Brigitte Herremans
Brigitte Herremans (born in 1979) studied Eastern Languages and Cultures (Arabic and Biblical Hebrew) at the University of Ghent and International Relations at l’Université Libre de Bruxelles. She also studied at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem and the Flemish-Dutch Institute in Cairo.
From 2002 to 2018, Brigitte worked as a Middle East policy officer for the development organisation Broederlijk Delen and the peace movement Pax Christi Flanders. She conducted advocacy at Belgian and European level on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, from a rights-based perspective. Since the start of the Arab revolutions in 2011 she has monitored the situation in Syria. In 2016, she co-published a book on the Israeli-Palestinian conflict: ‘Israël en Palestina. De kaarten op tafel.’
From 2017 to 2019, Brigitte also worked as a policy officer on the Middle East and North Africa at BOZAR, the centre of fine arts in Brussels, where she coordinated the Mahmoud Darwish Chair. In February 2019, she published an essay on how stories feed human rights.
- ‘De mens in opstand: hoe verhalen de strijd voor mensenrechten voeden’, Herremans B. Lannoo, 2019, 64p.
- ‘Israel en Palestina. De kaarten op tafel’,HERREMANS B., ABICHT L, Pelckmans, Kalmthout, 2016, 290 p.
- ‘The EU’s Self-Defeating Aid Policy Towards Palestine’, HERREMANS B., CEPS Policy Brief No. 34 No.10, Brussels, May 2016, 10 p.
- ‘EU-Israel relations: time for reflection’, HERREMANS B., Open Democracy, 27 juni 2016.
- ‘Belgium and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict. The cautious pursuit of a just peace’, HERREMANS B., Studia Diplomatica, Vol. LXVI, Issue 4, Brussels, 2013, 18 p.
- ‘The Arab revolutions: the people versus the regimes and the regimes against one another’, HERREMANS B., Studia Diplomatica, Vol. LXV, Issue 3, Brussels 2012, 15 p.
- Vreedzaam verzet in Syrië ondanks militarisering, HERREMANS B., WIJNINCKX M., Samenleving & Politiek, Jaargang 19, 2012, nr. 5 (mei), pp 62-69.
- ‘The EU unconditionally rewards Israel: how does this advance peace?’, HERREMANS B., CASALIN D., Open Democracy, 25 July 2012.
- ‘Palestinian Unity Government: EU should find ways to cooperate’, HERREMANS B., CASALIN D., Egmont Security Policy Brief, No. 25, 2011, Brussels, 14 p.
- ‘De rol van de VN in de Israëlisch-Palestijnse kwestie’, HERREMANS B., in ‘Langs de vuurlijn: De Verenigde Naties en gewapende conflicten’, BAERT F., PAUWELS A., SMIS S., Acco, Antwerpen, 2010, 20 p.
Contact InformationVisiting Address
Paddenhoek 5, 1st Floor, 9000 Ghent, BelgiumPostal Address
Ghent University, Campus Aula, Human Rights Centre, Universiteitstraat 4, 9000 Ghent, BelgiumDirect Contact